Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
First Achieve’s Engineering Division have a fantastic opportunity for an experienced Senior Mechanical Design Engineer, in the Edinburgh area. Our client is a global energy transition platform, specializing in a clean and smart future!
What’s on offer:
- Permanent position
- Hybrid working
- Salary £55000-£65000
- Annual performance-based bonus
- Progression opportunity
- Lead, motivate and develop junior team members, you will act as mentor to cultivate an open, enthusiastic design culture with a focus on innovation and team collaboration.
- Collaborate with partner teams (Electromagnetics, Power Electronics, Control, Electrical etc.) to achieve system design.
- Lead and oversee the mechanical design process, including the design of electrical panels, cooling systems, and housings for power electronics.
- Drive innovation by identifying new design approaches, technologies, and materials to improve product performance, reliability, and efficiency.
- Guide the product through whole development cycle starting with documentation embedding QA
- Create specification documentation for suppliers & support management of procurement.
- Collaborate with manufacturing teams to ensure smooth production and resolve any design-related issues during the manufacturing process.
- Conduct feasibility studies and perform engineering analysis to validate design concepts and optimize product performance.
- Define test criteria and ensure that design process is robust and traceable with transparent validation.
- Assist project manager with resource planning, estimates, timeline estimations, and day?to-day project running.
- Enhance and standardize the design & implementation process, thereby allowing the team to handle increasing demand with better efficiency.
- Carry out development of internal documentation defining installation & commissioning processes of the final systems
- Define, review and ensure compliance of internal and external technical standards.
Experience and skills required:
- You hold a passion for innovation and driving the energy transition
- At least 5 years' experience in a similar role.
- Hold Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related field.
- Experience in designing electrical panels, cooling systems, power electronics components, or new industrial product design.
- Strong expertise in mechanical design principles including DFM/DFA methods, 2D drafting with appropriate GD&T, 3D modelling, (Siemens NX, Solidworks or equivalent), and engineering analysis tools.
- Demonstrated track record of leading successful mechanical design projects, from concept development to final implementation.
- Proven ability to drive innovation and think creatively to solve complex design challenges.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to effectively collaborate with cross-functional teams and mentor junior engineers.
- Strong organizational and time management skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Contextual knowledge of electrical distribution networks.
- Experience working in test environments for electrical equipment, instrumentation, standards, regulations, test protocols, H&S, etc.
- Able to solve complex engineering problems, from both technical and commercial viewpoints, to identify and deliver pragmatic solutions.
- Capable of working with multi-disciplinary global teams with strong organization skills.
- Chartered status or professional engineering certification.
- Familiarity with BS EN, IEC and ENA standards relating to transformers and switchgear would be beneficial.
APPLY TODAY & One of our Time-Served Consultants will be in touch to discuss in more detail.